Monday, August 15, 2011

In-laws

If you ever decide to take the plunge into the eternity of marriage, make sure you meet the whole family first.

That sentence might make you think I'm going to start a rant about my in-laws. Nope. Two reasons:
1. I'm not stupid enough to post something that would upset them.
2. None of them have ever done anything to provoke a rant.

All of my in-laws; siblings, their spouses, their kids, extended cousins, aunts, uncles and even Nomna's caregivers are incredibly generous and loving. Meeting them and getting to know them all reveal more of the reasons why I knew Steve was the right man to marry. When my own mother met Steve and his parents, she said something to me. It shocked me at first because until then, she never commented about a boyfriend. This time she said, "Don't screw this up."

Every family gathering includes lots of conversations. I enjoy most of them. But this vacation, I find myself retreating into solitude. Could be a phase. Could be a need for quiet reflection. Could be a sign of extreme social media addiction.

Whatever is the cause of my social extraction, I don't feel bad about it. I usually end up isolated because conversation is Detroit specific. Out of the seven "out-laws" I'm the only one from outside the Detroit metro area. I'm ok with not engaging. They are just as stuck with me as I am.

I may be a social turd on this vacation. But at least I offer a balance with Texas cake, home made donuts, and crepes. Oh yeah, they'll always forgive me when I put on the cook's apron.

*****
#60 of 90in90 for #LUBlogTribe



No comments:

Post a Comment