Thursday, September 22, 2011

Is it time for an intervention?

To say that I'm dedicated to my work is perhaps the understatement of the week. In trying to capture a screen shot of my week, I could only fit the afternoon/evening schedule in to give you an idea:

Yes, it's packed. But I see a few things missing of things that I did on the fly. 

When the kids were younger, we did a nightly prayer that went like this:
God bless Mommy, God bless Daddy, God bless Bridget, God bless Stephen.
God bless Grandma, God bless Nonna.
God bless all of our aunts and uncles, and all of our cousins and friends,
and all of our friends and relatives in heaven who watch over us.
Especially Grandpa and Papa.

If they needed a little extra calming time, we'd list all the aunts, uncles and cousins by name. When we'd finally hit the pets, I'd ask them to think of their favorite part of the day. 

My review of this day is that I feel like I'm staying on top of things pretty well. Obligations to the celtic festival are being met. I'm attentive to my search committee duties (I'm not carrying the most of the work, like the chair of the search committee, but it still adds to the schedule), and I'm still moving on a whole bunch of initiatives (a.k.a, crazy ideas) that are coming along nicely.

One great part of the day was bringing an artist (David Kincaid) to the local public radio station for an on air interview. Artists like David are why I do what I do. David's musicianship and research are very interesting. On air, he was engaging and articulate. He's the kind of person I could listen to for hours. Unfortunately, the interview wasn't recorded. I hope that the people I introduced him to were as intrigued by his work as I am so that I can figure out a way to meet a new goal: to bring together an audience that is as deeply engaged with his work as I am. I know it would be a great moment for the audience as much as it would be for the artist - and that's why I do what I do.

There's only one thing missing from a really good day. I didn't tuck the kids in tonight. In fact, I haven't been home to tuck the kids in now for a few days: only 3 out of the last eleven days have been spent home at night. I'm sure Steve is about to force an intervention on my work addiction.

This work (and all of it's peripheral connections) is so much a part of me that sometimes I can't help but do it. Looking ahead in my calendar, the next night I'll be able to tuck them in is a week from tonight. While Steve is very supportive and doesn't complain too loudly that I'm overly extended, I worry that the kids won't understand.

October will be better. The search committee tasks should be done. The festival will be a memory. 

Next month, I'll pull back on time away from home. I'll start making their Halloween costumes. I'll finish some of the home purging projects. I'll play games with the kids. And I'll start my morning runs again.
Or maybe Buddy (the dog) will start to chew on my iPad if I don't return back to being some of the mom I was this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment