Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day 2015 Reflection

This morning I got up early to get the newsletter out out peck at the grading before heading to day two of the BFAC Art & Craft Show. It was a beautifully calm day yesterday. Hanging out in the Sun Inn Courtyard, the girl scouts and I served up art supplies to young kids who stopped by to have a little respite during the festival. I'm usually on the other side of the camera - but here's evidence of the ability to stand behind my beautiful daughter helping a little girl fold a paper hat.

Who doesn't need a place to sit down after strolling on Main street to look at wonderful art? It was great to see the bigger kids (AKA grown ups) take a few supplies to enjoy. Today we will offer more of the same; make a Mother's Day card, paint a scene on a story box. Our paper hats are getting an upgrade. Instead of newspaper, we'll be making them much bigger, with craft paper!! Expect to see some pretty fancy chapeaus walking around Main Street today. Yesterday, I had some hero girl scouts helping me with the area. Major props to Leilani, Cierra and Bridget. I could not have done it without them. Doug Roysdon and Dave Fry also made the day a hoot. There's something about kind hearted artists who just want to get together and laugh. Being with them makes me happy. Being with kids makes me happy. A beautiful spot shaded by trees and hearing birds in an urban landscape makes me happy. Being able to sit and take in a warm spring day, sip on an iced coffee from The Joint, and watch little ones draw and paint... makes me happy.

I also have to give a huge thanks to the guys on the Fine Arts Commission who helped with the set up: Clint, Nik and Bob. And also warm smushies to Donna for lending me the space to her conference room to hold supplies overnight. Sorry to Marco for locking you in the bathroom while we took the supplies out. You're an awesome cat.

This festival is the final big project of the semester. I'll be glad to be able to reclaim a life to include longer walks with the dog, reading non-work related books, and getting back into regular visits to the gym. I'm counting the days to the Municipal Pool with the kids. My knees have just about had it with me. I'll be elevating them on the nice hammock Steve bought at the festival yesterday for the back yard.

Grading and the last paper of the semester due in over the next couple of days. Looking forward to a summer filled with reading, reflective writing and getting used to slowing down.

What are you looking forward to this summer?


No comments:

Post a Comment