Monday, June 18, 2012

Rules

Gotta say - after a day of regrouping with my arts administrators in higher education peers, I have some thoughts. Not so much about the various ideas I will be stealing to see if they would work at my institution; but driven by the gathering of people who know EXACTLY what I'm trying to do in my work, and totally validate it.

We all work tirelessly in arts engagement on our campuses; not for ourselves, but in our shared purpose. We truly believe in the power of arts in nurturing the souls and identities of all the students, staff and faculty we serve.

BTW, there's also a ton of data that backs up the fact that participating in arts making is a sure fire way for any person to develop their own creative and innovative muscle. These dedicated and generous people are my kindred spirits. We work in a variety of administrative structures. We have a plethora of accountabilities to manage, while also initiating conversations with various offices, and other working groups outside our direct reporting structure. We boldly cross traditional lines in the sand. We reach far beyond expectations - we see things in a big picture and share strategies that support our common causes.

There is no competition amongst our group. We truly want each of us to be successful.

This is the professional group in which I get the most support and guidance for what I hope will make a difference.

However - at the end of this informationally rich day, I keep circling around a few thoughts for what I will be doing when I return to campus on Thursday. These quotes are probably going to end up in some graphic page I'll frame for my office. Right next to the big pair of old fashioned pantaloons; my "big girl panties."

"Treat others as you want to be treated"
~The Golden Rule

"Treat others in the way they like to be treated"
~The Platinum Rule


"The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others"
~Sonya Friedman

"If you don't love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?"
~RuPaul


17/90


No comments:

Post a Comment