Sunday, May 22, 2011

Earning a vacation

We have a family trip to Canada planned for the week before fall semester begins. This summer, I'm going to really EARN that vacation. My summer manifesto begins with time to reflect on goals; and how I'm going to realistically achieve them. I've dabbled in some GTD advise - but this time, I'm going to give it a good try.

As a trained academic, I respond to structured courses. Someone else puts together a schedule of readings, reflections and writing. There is a focus to the topic, challenge or project. Similar to books and articles like, "be your own personal trainer," I'm going to be my own professor/trainer/life coach.

This weekend is exactly what I want it to be. Got started on the garden, did my first walk/run, got diet back on track, and attended to my kids when they needed a little structure, and ignored them when they needed to find their own.

The key to this will be giving myself the gift of thinking time. I just did it by getting out a blog post about an experience yesterday that shook my dreams. I had a nightmare that was no doubt a mix of my own fears and very frightening tragic realities of someone else's experience. I woke up in my blessings. And wish to stay in this moment of acceptance for as long as I can.

I will accept my limitations. But I will not stop dreaming about being a ballerina. Defined in next post.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment